The Year I Learned to Stay

This year was more about reflection.

Maybe that’s the best way to describe it.

At the beginning of the year, I intentionally chose “Rooted” as my word for the year.

I wanted to feel grounded — in who I am, what I value, the people I choose, and the life I’m building.

I didn’t realize that becoming rooted would also mean looking backward.

So I looked back.

Five years.

Ten years.

And for once, I wasn’t asking, “What could I have done differently?”

I was asking, “How did I become this person?”

That question felt kinder.

Ten years ago, I finally had clarity about the future I wanted to pave.

Five years ago, another set of roadblocks was cleared, allowing me to keep moving forward.

Looking back now, I can appreciate those moments with more maturity — not just for what happened, but for the patterns connecting them.

My systems-thinking brain is, of course, giddy happy about this.

I’ve always been wired to connect dots, notice patterns, and understand how things fit together.

For a long time, though, that also meant I thought everything needed fixing.

Not Everything Needs Fixing

I used to react to everything.

Everything felt urgent.

Everything felt personal.

Everything needed a response.

If I saw a problem, I wanted to solve it.

If I saw a pattern, I wanted to understand it.

If someone I cared about was struggling, my instinct was to figure out how to make things better.

That part of me is still very much alive.

I still notice patterns.

I still see recurring cycles and immediately think, “Okay, but how do we fix this?”

But this year taught me something my brain didn’t particularly enjoy hearing:

Not every pattern is mine to fix.

Sometimes people don’t need solutions.

They need someone who can sit beside them without turning their pain into a problem to solve.

Sometimes the most meaningful thing we can give another person is simply:

“I’m here.”

What I Was Still Carrying

This year also made me realize I was carrying pain I didn’t know I still had.

Old words.

Old judgments.

Other people’s definitions of me.

Being treated like a backup plan.

For a while, I confused being eventually chosen with being valued.

I don’t anymore.

Not every opinion about you deserves to become a belief about you.

Some words belong to the people who said them.

They don’t have to become part of who I am.

And perhaps the most unexpected part of letting go was realizing that I don’t always need to keep my guard up.

Someone who unintentionally hurt me before may not hurt me now.

I can remember what happened without making the past responsible for every present interaction.

There’s a difference between boundaries and walls.

I want boundaries.

I don’t want walls.

I can be open without being naive.

I can forgive without forgetting.

I can let people show me who they are today instead of only remembering what happened before.

That feels like freedom.

Outgrowing the People Pleaser

I used to prioritize other people’s expectations before my own.

I wanted everyone to be okay with me.

I wanted to be understood.

I wanted to avoid disappointing anyone.

I was careful with friendships, relationships, words, and expectations.

Sometimes, too careful.

Because when you spend too much time keeping everyone else comfortable, you eventually realize you’ve been making yourself uncomfortable just to keep the peace.

That version of me served a purpose.

But I don’t need her to run my life anymore.

I’ve learned that being understood by everyone isn’t the price of being yourself.

Some people will understand.

Some won’t.

Some relationships will continue.

Some will naturally become chapters.

And neither outcome has to diminish what those relationships meant.

Friendship Doesn’t Have to Be Constant

I used to think friendship required constant contact.

Checking in.

Making plans.

Keeping the conversation alive.

Making sure the connection never went quiet.

But having a massive network is a lot to maintain.

Eventually, I realized:

Quiet doesn’t always mean disconnected.

My guy best friend is based in the UK.

We rarely meet.

We rarely talk.

But when we do, we make the most of it.

No guilt.

No scorekeeping.

We just pick up where we left off.

That kind of friendship taught me that closeness isn’t always measured by frequency.

But relationships are still a two-way thing.

For me, that comes down to three things:

Communication.
Integrity.
Compassion.

Say what needs to be said.

Let your actions match your words.

And remember that everyone is carrying something you may not see.

I don’t need constant communication.

I value intentional communication.

I don’t need someone to always be available.

I value mutual effort.

And sometimes, I don’t need anyone to fix anything.

I just want to know the relationship is real enough for both of us to show up when it matters.

This Is What Rooted Means to Me Now

Maybe this is what all that reflection was trying to teach me.

Being rooted isn’t about holding everything together.

It’s about knowing what is worth holding.

It isn’t about becoming immovable.

It’s about becoming steady enough that I don’t have to react to every movement around me.

I can let things unfold without immediately chasing an explanation.

I can let people be who they are without taking every choice personally.

I can release what hurts without closing myself off from what might still be good.

I can care without carrying everything.

That is what “Rooted” means to me now.

Not staying the same.

Not having everything figured out.

Just knowing where I stand.

And perhaps that is exactly what I need for the next phase of my life.

I don’t know what it will look like.

For once, I don’t feel the need to.

I just want to arrive there lighter — carrying the lessons, not the weight.

So I’m thinking about the ocean.

Not because the waves are predictable.

They aren’t.

The tide doesn’t pause to explain itself. It doesn’t ask what I’m ready for. It simply moves — in, out, forward, back — constantly reshaping the shoreline.

And maybe that’s the lesson.

I used to think being rooted meant becoming strong enough that nothing could move me.

Now I think it means knowing what remains mine even when everything around me is in motion.

The water can change its rhythm.

The shoreline can change its shape.

Things can arrive.

Things can leave.

And I can still recognize myself in the middle of it.

Maybe I don’t need to brace for every wave anymore.

Maybe I can let some reach me.

Let some pass.

Let some take things I’ve outgrown back out to sea.

And when the tide pulls away, I don’t have to chase it.

I can simply notice what remains.

That’s the kind of rootedness I’m taking with me into the next phase of my life — not a life without waves, but a self I no longer lose when they come.

Comments

Popular Posts