This Time, I Knew Better

I used to think that when something from the past came back, it meant there was still something unfinished.

But maybe that's not always true.

Sometimes, a situation repeats itself because life is showing you your progress.

When it happened again, my first reaction was physical. It gave me chills to my bones. My body immediately recognized something my mind was still trying to process.

For a moment, I thought, What if I'm not as over this as I thought I was?

But I gave myself time.

I processed it. I let the emotions come without judging myself for having them.

And somewhere along the way, I realized something:

My body remembered, but my emotions had already moved on.

I wasn't feeling the same attachment. I wasn't looking for answers. I wasn't wishing for a different ending.

I was simply seeing it for what it was.

And somehow, that made everything clearer.

I understood again why it didn't work out. Why it stopped making sense. Why it had to end. Why holding onto it would only mean holding onto a version of myself that I had already outgrown.

It still gave me chills, but it didn't break me.

That distinction means everything.

Because healing doesn't always mean feeling nothing.

Sometimes, healing means feeling the familiar emotion and realizing that it no longer controls you.

Maybe situations repeat themselves for that reason.

Not because you're meant to go back.

But because you're being reminded of how far you've come.

And this time, I didn't need another ending.

I already had one.

It ended then.

And somewhere between remembering and processing, I realized that it had ended inside me, too.

Comments

Popular Posts